Decision to shut down all facilities.
Response to feedback received.
1. We appreciate the encouraging responses for the decision to shut down all facilities as stated in our EDM dated 22.3.2020 ('the EDM'). We are grateful for the support given by multiple residents, sharing our rationale that at this time of immense challenge, robust decisions are necessary.
2. The near unanimous approval and support of the residents have made it easier for the Management Teams to carry out the closure of the facilities. They have been encouraged by the fact that there had been no incidents or unpleasant challenges to the work they had to do.
3. We thank the Management Teams (A and B) for making these changes at short notice, following the deliberations by the Council. There was planning and preparations that had to be done. We appreciate your kind understanding and bearing the inconvenience caused by this decision. We are monitoring the situation closely and promise a review on a weekly-basis.
4. The decision to close all facilities, when the children have school break and most residents are forced to work from home, was not an easy one and wasn’t taken lightly. Multiple Singapore Government guidelines were reviewed as well as situation at other estates considered. These guidelines are evolving as well, and estates are generally responding to confirmed cases. With some of these prudent and proactive steps, the council hopes ‘to stay ahead of this crisis, with the safety of our community as the prime concern’.
5. As stated, this decision was not taken lightly and after careful and well-thought deliberations between the council and the management teams. With many returning residents from Europe/ US/ other countries, we are seeing a daily spikes in the number of confirmed cases. With an estate our size, there is bound to be difference of opinion and divergent point of views. We are taking all positive as well as negative feedback into consideration and making changes where necessary, to ensure we continue to provide the best & safest possible environments for the residents at large, and over the long term.
6. Most countries & multiple states are currently under lockdown, trying to control or get ahead of the crisis. It speaks of the desperate times we find ourselves in, where prevention ‘in every possible way’, might actually mean saving lives. We understand the facilities are useful outlets for much-needed exercise and possible distractions from largely depressing news these days. However, they also present substantial risk in these uncertain times. A prominent office tower had a confirmed case identified at its equally prominent gym. Most estates are closing all facilities ‘only after a confirmed case’, is identified – potentially with multiple secondary infections already across the rest of the estate. We would want to avoid such a situation.
7. As members of an elected Council, with most residents either family or close friends, we carry a responsibility for the well-being of ALL residents - our parents, our children and other older folks living with us, who are especially vulnerable. We MUST act in the best interests of the estate and do what’s RIGHT, even if it appears as an unpopular decision to some. That was how the deliberation was carried out.
8. As it stands now, we are happy that the decision meets the approval of the wider community of residents. We thank everyone for your words of support and encouragement and are always open to feedback, to provide a safer estate for all our residents. As you may notice, we have increased the frequency of cleaning and sanitisation in the Estate. Efforts are underway to start temperature checks at the guard house for external vendors and visitors.
We thank our residents again, for your encouraging support. Stay safe, Stay healthy